As we get older, achieving and maintaining proper balance becomes more and more crucial. Falls are the No. 1 cause of injuries — fatal and non-fatal — among older people, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Our doctor of podiatry at Ozark Foot & Ankle PLC reminds our patients that there are some key steps (literally) they can take to preemptively protect themselves.
Here are some tips from the American Podiatric Medical Association concerning selecting footwear that can best offer support and protection:
- If you have particular health concerns or foot conditions, visit our podiatrist about the best footwear brands for you. If we have prescribed orthotics, bring them with you when you shop.
- Get a professional measurement; the size of your feet may have changed since your last footwear purchase.
- Footwear should have a stiff heel. The shoe itself should have some flexibility in the toe area, but you should not be able to twist it in the middle.
- Wear the socks you’d normally wear with the shoes, and spend time walking around the store before buying.
- If the shoes don’t feel supportive and comfortable in the store, choose a different pair. Don’t count on a break-in period to improve the way they feel.
- If you’re purchasing by mail, check the brand’s sizing chart/recommendations and consider ordering more than one size if unsure. Wear the shoes around the house for a period to determine if they fit properly before going outside.
- Don’t base your choice on price; quality footwear is an investment. Check for the APMA’s Seal of Acceptance, which is awarded based on products that promote foot health.
Our doctor of podiatry at Ozark Foot & Ankle PLC is a resource for all things related to the health of the feet and ankles, so please don’t hesitate to contact us for a consultation. Maintaining proper balance is critical as we age, and selecting the right footwear makes all the difference.
By Ozark Foot & Ankle PLLC
August 28, 2023